Su Mei's Chicken Stock
This aromatic stock serves as the base for Su-Mei Yu's Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup, which she serves at her restaurant Saffron in San Diego.
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 cups bottled or filtered water
- 1 very thin slice ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled, smashed
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow, or white onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
In a medium stockpot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to medium low, and boil gently for 1 hour. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve lined with dampened cheesecloth. Set chicken aside in refrigerator for another use.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2001