Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
Tomatoes taste best at room temperature, so prep this salad and stow it for a bit while you cook the main dish on the grill.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grates
- 3 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 beefsteak tomato (10 ounces), cored, halved, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. Place corn on grill. Cover, and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut off tip of 1 ear of corn, and stand in a wide bowl (to catch the kernels). With a sharp knife, carefully slice downward. Repeat with remaining corn.
To bowl, add tomato, bell pepper, scallions, vinegar, and oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine.