Chicken and Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce
To make satays, you'll need bamboo skewers; soak them in water for two to three hours so they don't burn on the grill.
- Yield: Makes 40 to 50 pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds fillet of beef, or 4 whole chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal (Indonesian chile paste), or 1 hot red chile
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Peanut Sauce
Trim fat from beef or chicken. Cut into strips about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate until needed.
Combine remaining ingredients in blender, and puree until smooth. Pour over meat, and mix to coat evenly. Marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat grill or grill pan until hot. Thread a piece of meat lengthwise on each skewer, and grill until done, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Baste occasionally with marinade during cooking. Serve immediately with peanut sauce.