Madhur's Broiled Fish
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2006
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 fish fillets or steaks (6 ounces each) such as swordfish, halibut, haddock, tuna, or salmon
In a small bowl, combine ginger, garlic, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Stir in about 1 tablespoon warm water to form a very thick paste.
Brush a baking sheet or broiler pan with 1 tablespoon butter; place fish on top. Cover fish on both sides with marinade; set aside for at least 15 minutes but no more than 30 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Drizzle 2 tablespoons butter over fish; broil until nicely browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn over steaks, and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons butter; broil until browned and cooked through. Serve immediately.