- Yield: Makes 20
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup finely grated (2 1/2 ounces) cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, cayenne, and nutmeg in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to combine. Add butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese, and pulse until combined. With the machine running, add milk. Process until the dough comes together and is well combined.
Transfer the dough to a clean work surface. Shape the dough into a 2-inch-wide log. Wrap with 2 layers of plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 4 weeks.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Slice the well-chilled log into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer the slices to a baking sheet, and bake immediately, rotating the sheet halfway through baking, until the crackers are golden brown and firm in the center, 25 to 35 minutes. (The crackers should not get too dark around the edges.) Transfer to a rack to cool. The crackers may be made a day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.