Spinach Salad with Chicken and Crispy Potatoes
Seven simple ingredients are the building blocks for this dinner salad.
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 pound Yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 pound spinach, trimmed, washed, and torn into bite-size pieces
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon thyme. Roast until cooked through, 35 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into pieces. In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice, shallot, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme; season dressing with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a medium pot, bring potatoes to a boil in salted water and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 5 to 7 minutes; drain well.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add half the potatoes in one layer. Cook, undisturbed, until potatoes are golden brown and crisp, then flip and cook other side, 5 minutes total. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining oil and remaining potatoes.
In a large bowl, toss together chicken, potatoes, dressing, and spinach.