Swirly Baked Apples
Large Rome Beauty apples, peeled in a spiral, are ideal for filling with sugary oats and spices for an easy dessert.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Fall
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium Rome Beauty apples, skin peeled in a spiral
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Scoop out the core of each apple with a melon baller, being careful not to go through the bottom; discard cores. Fill each apple with oat mixture, dividing evenly. Transfer apples to a 9-inch square non-reactive baking dish. Add 1 cup water to the dish to cover bottoms of apples by about 1/2 inch. Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake until apples are soft, but not mushy, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm.