Sesame Seed Crusted Shrimp with Sesame Noodles
Shrimp in a crunchy sesame coating served over noodles in a silken sauce embodies the seeds' dual textural characteristics in a single dish.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Reed Davis
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2000
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup hulled sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 12 large shrimp, (about 1/2 pound), peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Easy Sesame Noodles
In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water, and set aside. In another small bowl, combine sesame seeds, flour, salt, pepper, and five-spice powder. Dip shrimp in the egg mixture then in the sesame-seed mixture to coat.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp; saute until cooked through and sesame-seed crust is golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Serve shrimp on a bed of sesame noodles.