Mussels in Tomato-Parsley Sauce Baked in Parchment
Bake the packet in a pan that can go right to the table, and serve the dish family style, with a loaf of crusty bread.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Hans Gissinger
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2005
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed well and beards removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut a sheet of parchment paper to measure 15 by 24 inches. Fold in half horizontally, and crease. Make a 1-inch fold on one open side; fold over again. Press firmly to seal. Repeat on opposite side to form a large pocket.
Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl. Place parchment pocket in a roasting pan. Holding pocket up, pour in mussel mixture. Seal top by making a 1-inch fold. Fold over again; press firmly to seal. Lay pocket flat in pan.
Bake mussels 20 minutes; all mussels should be open (discard any that remain closed). Serve immediately, opening packet at the table.