Rick's Mango, Jicama, and Cucumber Salads
Created by chef Rick Bayless, these refreshing snacks embody the flavors of an authentic Mexican market.
- 2 medium mangos, about 1 1/2 pounds total, peeled, flesh cut from pits, and sliced into 1/2-inch-wide "fingers" or wedges
- 1 medium jicama, about 1 pound, peeled and cut into long 1/2-inch-wide "fingers" or wedges
- 1 English cucumber, or 2 regular cucumbers, cut into long 1/2-inch-wide "fingers" or wedges
- 1 teaspoon pure ground chile (guajillo or ancho, or substitute a little cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 limes, each cut into 6 wedges
In pointed sno-cone cups (a sno-cone holder or a glass will be necessary to support each cup) or in paper cups or glasses, combine a portion of mango, jicama, and cucumber "fingers" or wedges so that they are standing in cups. Mix chile with 1/2 teaspoon salt; sprinkle mixture over "salads." Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over pieces as they are eaten.
SourceMartha Stewart Living Television, April 2001