Neapolitan Green Beans
A staple at an Italian table, this vegetable side dish is slow-cooked with garlic, tomatoes, and a sprig of basil. Recipe by Lucinda Scala Quinn.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 medium tomato, cored and torn into pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sprig fresh basil
Rinse and drain green beans; place in medium saucepan while still slightly wet. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, tomato, and oil. Cover; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 15 minutes.
Add basil sprig; cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, until most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Discard basil sprig before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2005