Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups reserved stock from Poached Chicken
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 medium carrots, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 medium celery stalks, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Poached Chicken
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus about 1/2 cup leaves for crust and sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup slightly thawed frozen peas
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup stock. Whisk remaining 1/2 cup stock into the flour in a small bowl. Whisk into shallot mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Add carrots and celery. Bring to a boil. Stir in chicken. Return to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped parsley and tarragon. Let cool. Stir in peas. Transfer to a 2-quart (8 1/2-by-12-inch) baking dish.
Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with melted butter. Sprinkle with parsley leaves. Repeat with remaining phyllo, parsley, and butter; do not sprinkle parsley on final layer. (Keep unbuttered phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel.) Drape crust over cooled filling; tuck in edges. Cut four 4-inch slits in crust for vents. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
Bake until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and recut vents. Serve immediately in shallow bowls.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2006