Spicy Lentil-Walnut Burgers
These Mediterranean-inspired veggie burgers pack in the flavor without adding on the pounds. This recipe was adapted from the March 2005 issue of Everyday Food magazine.
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup lentils, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 large pitas
- Yogurt-Cilantro Sauce, for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Cherry tomatoes, halved, for serving
In the bowl of a food processor, combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until finely ground. Add lentils, onion, and 1 tablespoon oil; pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should remain whole).
In a large bowl, whisk egg. Add lentil mixture; mix until well combined. Divide into quarters; roll into balls, and flatten with the palm of your hands into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add burgers; cook, turning once, over medium-low heat until crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve burgers in pitas with sauce, avocado, and cherry tomatoes.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, May 2010