Puffed-Rice Bars with Peanut Butter and Chocolate
Transform out-of-the-box rice cereal into peanut-y cookie bars spread with melted chocolate.
- Yield: Makes 16 cookies
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably natural
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 cups puffed-rice cereal
- Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil, for pressing
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped, roasted salted peanuts
Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. In a large pot, combine marshmallows, peanut butter, butter, and salt. Cook over medium, stirring, until melted, about 4 minutes. Add cereal and stir to combine. With a wooden spoon greased with cooking spray or oil, press half the cereal mixture into dish. Spread half the melted chocolate on top. Repeat with remaining cereal mixture and chocolate; sprinkle with peanuts.