Mrs. Kostyra's Mac and Cheese
Martha was fond of her grandmother's unusual mac n' cheese, which included tomato soup and sour cream. In this version, Martha and her mom give it a more traditional spin.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for baking dish
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Sour cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish; set aside.
Warm the milk and tomato paste in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup Swiss cheese; set the cheese sauce aside.
Cover a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook until pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Stir macaroni into reserved cheese sauce.
Pour mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, and dot with butter. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 45 minutes. Serve hot with sour cream, if desired.
SourceMartha Stewart Living Television