Honey-Phyllo Pumpkin Pie
This dulcet, honeyed pumpkin filling is remarkably well suited to its brittle, buttery phyllo nest and candied walnut topping.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 sheets phyllo, trimmed to 8 1/2-by-13 1/2-inch sheets, thawed if frozen
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- Walnut-Oatmeal Streusel
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey, plus more for serving
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Ground cloves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fold a piece of foil lengthwise to make a 2-inch-wide collar, and fit it around a 9.5- or 10-inch deep-dish pie dish, extending it 1/2 inch above dish. Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with butter, and generously sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and then with 2 tablespoons streusel over half the sheet. Fold in half from left to right. Brush top with butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Gently scrunch right side, and then fold back corners of left side to create a petal shape. Place phyllo in dish, pressing scrunched side into dish and tucking folded corners under (phyllo will not reach center). Repeat 13 times, overlapping sheets.
Brush remaining phyllo sheets with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, and fold in quarters. Press into dish to cover bottom. Brush with butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
Bake until edges begin to turn gold, about 20-25 minutes.
Transfer dish to a rimmed baking sheet. Mix pumpkin, brown sugar, honey, eggs, milk, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of cloves in a large bowl. Pour into crust. Tent edges with foil, and bake until center is set but still a bit wobbly, 60 to 65 minutes. Let cool in pie dish on a wire rack. Sprinkle with some streusel. Serve at room temperature with honey and remaining streusel.