Emeril's Seafood Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese is a fantastic one-dish meal -- it's so rich and creamy and cheesy, all you'll need is a simple green salad to serve alongside, and your menu is set. Lobster goes great in this recipe, but if that seems too luxurious, use any combination of seafood that makes you happy.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound coarsely chopped cooked lobster, shrimp, crawfish, or crabmeat, or a combination
- 4 cups (1 pound) mixed grated cheeses, such as Parmesan, cheddar, Swiss, and fontina
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Creole Seasoning
Preheat oven to 400. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni 2 minutes less than al dente. Drain; rinse with cold water. Set aside.
While pasta is cooking, melt butter over medium in a large saucepan. Transfer 2 tablespoons melted butter to a medium bowl, and reserve. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add milk; whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg.
Remove pan from heat. Fold in seafood, macaroni, and cheese; transfer to a shallow 4-quart baking dish. To bowl with reserved melted butter, add breadcrumbs and Creole seasoning; toss, and scatter over macaroni mixture. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until topping is golden and sauce is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.