Pizza Piena Dough
This recipe for pizza piena dough is courtesy of sisters Gerry DiSanto and Nina Scavone, and is used to make their Easter Pizza Piena.
- Yield: Makes enough for one 13 3/4-by-9 1/2-inch pie
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March Winter/Spring 2008
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening and butter until combined.
Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add eggs; stir until just combined. Slowly stir in water until a dough begins to form. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead slightly until dough is smooth. Form dough into 2 disks, one slightly larger than the other, and wrap each with plastic wrap. Let dough stand at least 20 minutes before rolling out.