Whole-Wheat Pasta with Kale
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, October 2003
- 4 slices bacon (2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 garlic
- 1 bunch kale (1 pound), thick stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated fontina cheese, plus more for serving
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, reserving fat in skillet.
Cook garlic in same skillet over medium heat until golden, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Add half the kale; cook, tossing until just wilted, 2 minutes. Add remaining kale, and season with salt and pepper; cook, tossing until all the kale has wilted, 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, and simmer until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot. Add kale and fontina; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add reserved cooking water as desired. Divide pasta among plates; top with more cheese and reserved bacon.