Mario's Spaghetti alla Carbonara
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces guanciale, pancetta, or American bacon, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound very thick spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil; add salt. Meanwhile, in a 12-inch saute pan, cook onion and guanciale over medium heat until both are translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add spaghetti to the boiling water, and cook according to package instructions, until tender but al dente. Drain. Add the hot pasta to the saute pan, and toss over medium heat until coated. Add 1/4 cup cheese, and stir. Remove from the heat, and vigorously stir in egg whites.
Divide the pasta among four plates, and top each serving with one yolk.
Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese and the pepper. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 1999