Frutti di Mare Sauce
This recipe for frutti di mare sauce is from Sal Scognamillo of Patsy's Italian Restaurant.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juices reserved
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 pound calamari, cleaned and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 16 mussels, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti
In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices, wine, and calamari; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until calamari is tender, 25 to 28 minutes.
Increase heat to medium, add shrimp, clams, and mussels to saucepan. Cook, covered, until clam and mussel shells open, about 10 minutes. Discard any unopened shells.
Stir in basil and parsley; continue cooking 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over spaghetti.