Moroccan Carrot Salad
Cumin and cayenne give this bright orange salad its bite.
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, March 2008
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces (halve pieces again if thick)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pistachios on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook carrots until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes, adding raisins during last minute of cooking. Drain in a colander; rinse under cold water until cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, slowly add olive oil.
Add carrots, pistachios, and cilantro to dressing; toss to combine.