Artichoke and Rice Salad
Inspired by a 1960s classic, this side dish calls for Arborio rather than conventional rice, resulting in a chewy and creamy texture.
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 small green olives, pitted and sliced
- 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, cut into 1/2-inch wedges, liquid reserved
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1/2 ounce baby spinach (about 1 cup)
Bring stock to a simmer. Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent. Add rice, salt, and curry powder. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Raise heat, and add half the stock. Stir 30 seconds. Stir in remaining stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook 20 minutes.
Spread rice onto a rimmed baking sheet. Let cool. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
Combine olives, artichoke hearts, and celery in a large bowl. Add rice, and toss. Add 1 tablespoon reserved artichoke liquid, and toss. (Salad can be made up to this point and refrigerated overnight.)
Before serving, stir in spinach. Serve cold or at room temperature.