Vegetable Summer Rolls
Cool, vibrant summer rolls are especially appealing during the hot summer months.
- 12 rice-paper wrappers (8-inch round)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves, plus whole leaves for rolling
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for rolling
- 1 head Boston lettuce (8 ounces), finely shredded
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and julienned
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and finely julienned
- 2 cups radish sprouts or pea shoots
- Lime-Garlic Dipping Sauce
Dip 1 sheet of rice paper in a shallow bowl filled with warm water until pliable, 5 to 10 seconds. Transfer to a dampened towel placed on a work surface and smooth wrapper (wrapper may still feel hard in spots but will soften as it rests).
Place 4 whole mint leaves and 4 whole cilantro leaves in center of wrapper. Top with 1 tablespoon lettuce, 5 cucumber strips, 5 carrot strips, 5 bell pepper strips, 2 tablespoons sprouts or shoots, 2 teaspoons sliced mint, and 2 teaspoons sliced cilantro. Fold sides in and roll tightly to enclose filling. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Cut each roll into thirds, and serve immediately with dipping sauce.