Almond-Apricot Tart with Whipped Cream
Rings of apricots top this tart for a flowerlike effect.
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
For the Filling
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons amaretto (or other almond-flavored liqueur)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 2 pounds baby apricots, halved and pitted
- Garnish: confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
Make the crust: Pulse flour and almonds in a food processor until ground. Beat butter and confectioners' sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add flour mixture, yolk, and a pinch of salt; mix until dough comes together. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make the filling: Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat yolks, corn syrup, and brown sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in browned butter (with bits), amaretto, cream, and vanilla. (Mixture should be thick but pourable.)
Transfer tart shell onto a baking sheet. Pour in filling to reach halfway up side. Bake until crust is golden brown and crisp and center is set but slightly soft, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool.
Make the topping: Working in a circle and pressing into filling, top tart with apricots. Garnish with confectioners' sugar. Whisk cream with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Serve tart topped with whipped cream.