Under 30 Minutes
Apricot-Stuffed French Toast
Creamy, crunchy, sweet, and salty come together in a breakfast like the ones Mom used to make.
- 1 loaf Italian bread (about 4 inches in diameter), cut into eight 1-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
Using a paring knife, cut a horizontal slit in each bread slice to form a pocket. In a bowl, blend jam and cream cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture into each pocket.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cinnamon until combined. In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Lay half the bread slices in egg mixture, letting them soak 5 seconds on each side.
Place slices in skillet; cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining bread, adding more butter to skillet if needed. If desired, serve French toast with syrup and bacon.