Mussels with Lime Juice and Mirin
We used a wok as a steamer to simmer mussels in an aromatic broth of lime juice and mirin.
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Blais
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2000
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 7 limes)
- 1/2 cup mirin rice wine
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
- 3 scallions, sliced diagonally 1/8-inch thick
- 1 green chile pepper, finely chopped
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned and beard removed
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Place wok over medium heat. Add the lime juice, mirin, fish sauce, lemongrass, scallions, and chile pepper; stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer; add the mussels. Cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mussels have opened, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard mussels that have not opened. Stir in the cucumber. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and basil.