Mussels with Lime Juice and Mirin
We used New Zealand mussels which have attractive green shells; common mussels can be substituted. Per serving: 484 calories, 10 g fat, 128 mg cholesterol, 37 g carbs, 1,128 mg sodium, 55 g protein, 0 g fiber
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 7 limes)
- 1/2 cup mirin rice wine
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
- 3 scallions, sliced diagonally 1/8-inch thick
- 1 green chile pepper, finely chopped
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned and beard removed
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Place wok over medium heat. Add the lime juice, mirin, fish sauce, lemongrass, scallions, and chile pepper; stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer; add the mussels. Cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mussels have opened, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard mussels that have not opened. Stir in the cucumber. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and basil.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2000