These stewed apples go well with whole-grain waffles, pancakes, or toast; plain or vanilla yogurt; and oatmeal or other hot breakfast cereals.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Fuji or Gala apples, peeled, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high. Add apples and pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are light gold, 4 to 5 minutes. Add apple juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, and pinch of nutmeg. Cook until liquid is reduced by half and apples are just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in 1/2 tablespoon butter.