- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
- 2 cups cold heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 3 pounds fresh cherries, pitted, or 2 1/4 pounds frozen cherries
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. Using large holes on a box grater, grate butter into flour mixture. With a fork, stir in cream until dough just comes together. On a floured work surface, roll out dough to a 3/4-inch thickness with a floured rolling pin. With a knife or biscuit cutter, cut out 8 to 12 rounds or squares of dough.
In a bowl, combine cherries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and vanilla. Divide mixture among four 1- to 1 1/2-cup ramekins; top each with 2 to 3 dough pieces. Brush tops with cream. Bake cobblers on a rimmed baking sheet until biscuits are golden and juices are bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.