Chorizo and Red Pepper Quesadillas
The combination of cheese, peppers, and smoky chorizo sausage makes this tortilla irresistible. The pork sausages are seasoned with paprika, which gives them their characteristic flavor and color.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2006
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 1 chorizo sausage (about 2 1/2 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepared green or red salsa, for serving (optional)
Assemble quesadillas: Place 4 tortillas on a work surface. Dividing evenly, scatter chorizo, bell pepper, and scallions over each, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over each, and top with remaining tortillas. Press lightly to seal.
Place 1 quesadilla on a paper towel. Top with another paper towel, a quesadilla, and a third paper towel. Microwave the 2 stacked quesadillas on high for 2 minutes or until cheese has melted. Carefully unstack quesadillas (they will be very hot), and remove paper towels. Place on a platter. Repeat with remaining 2 quesadillas.
Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with salsa, if desired.