Under 30 Minutes
Egg-in-the-Hole Toasts with Ricotta
Baked with bread and cheese, eggs go from morning staple to delicious dinner.
- 4 slices rustic bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil for brushing, plus more for drizzling
- 8 ounces (1 cup) fresh ricotta cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Tear out middle of each bread slice to form a 1 1/2-inch hole, reserving torn pieces. Arrange slices in a baking dish. Tear bread from middles into smaller pieces. Brush slices on both sides and pieces all over with oil, and sprinkle pieces around slices. Bake until toasted and golden, about 12 minutes. Leave oven on.
Mix ricotta with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper, and fold in thyme. Spread mixture onto slices, avoiding the hole in each slice, and drizzle with oil.
Break 1 egg into each hole, and season with salt. Bake until egg whites are set, about 12 minutes. Top each slice with Parmesan, and garnish with toasted bread pieces.