Brown Rice with Beans and Red Sauce
- Servings: 1
Source: Martha Stewart Baby, Special Issue 2000
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup Versatile Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup canned pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- 2 corn tortillas
Bring rice and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover tightly, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 35 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat; let sit 5 minutes.
Heat sauce in a small saucepan. Heat beans in a second pan. Season sauce and beans with salt and pepper. Transfer rice, beans, and sauce to a dinner plate. Top with sour cream and cilantro, if using. Serve hot, with warm tortillas on the side.