Sausage and Feta Hand Pies
These tasty sausage and feta hand pies are adapted from the "Martha Stewart Baking Handbook."
- Yield: Makes 1 dozen
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2008
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head fennel (about 1 pound), trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Pate Brisee
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet along with the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add sliced fennel and red pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until they release their juices, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved sausage, and stir to combine. Remove from heat, and let cool completely. Stir in feta cheese and parsley; set filling aside.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one piece of dough to a 16-by-11-inch rectangle. Trim to 15 by 10 inches. Cut into 6 squares (5 inches each). With a dry pastry brush, sweep off excess flour. Place 1/2 cup filling in the center of each square. Fold up all four corners around the filling, so that the points meet in the center but do not touch (leave about 1/4 inch of space between them). Repeat with remaining piece of dough and filling. Transfer to prepared baking sheets.
Brush tops of dough with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with fennel seeds. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until pies are golden brown and filling is set, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm.