One-Pot Chicken and Brown Rice
A great dish for the whole family, this all-in-one meal is a smart way to use up the vegetables you probably already have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (6 to 8 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown rice
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place, skin side down, in pot. Cook until golden brown on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes total. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot; add onion and celery. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
Add carrots, bay leaf, and 1 3/4 cups water; stir in rice and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until rice absorbs almost all the liquid, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.