Rice Pudding with Macadamia Nut Topping
Served in individual porcelain bowls, this pudding makes a lovely addition to a dessert buffet.
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1 inch long), peeled and quartered
- 1 slice orange peel (1 by 3 inches)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone, cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Macadamia Nut Topping
Combine rice, 2 cups milk, vanilla bean, ginger, and orange peel in saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer, stirring, until liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
Stir in cream and remaining 1 cup milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; remove and discard the ginger, vanilla bean, and orange peel. Stir in sugar; let stand 2 minutes. Stir in mascarpone and macadamia nuts; let stand to cool slightly. Garnish with macadamia-nut topping, and serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December/January 1997/1998