Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes
Grate some zucchini for surprising, cute cupcakes. This recipe was submitted by reader Ian Young of Oakland, California.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 zucchini (10 ounces), coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in nuts.
In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, and mix just until combined (do not overmix).
Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool in tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely. Meanwhile, make frosting. Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread frosting on cupcakes. The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1 day.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2007