Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes
Grate some zucchini for surprisingly delicious cupcakes. This recipe was submitted by reader Ian Young of Oakland, California.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 12
Source: Everyday Food, May 2007
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 zucchini (10 ounces), coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper or foil liners. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in nuts.
In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, and mix just until combined (do not overmix).
Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool in tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely. Meanwhile, make frosting. Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread Cream Cheese Frosting on cupcakes. The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1 day.