Under 30 Minutes
Lighter Chicken Salad
Pass the deli tray and try our creamy, not-too-heavy rendition of an American lunch standby.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Bring 1 inch salted water to a boil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Add chicken, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5 minutes. Off heat, let chicken (still covered) steam until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from skillet; when cool enough, cut into chunks or shred with two forks.
In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Stir in chicken, celery, onion, and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Serve on bread or over greens.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2008