Rice Pilaf with Shallots
Basmati rice with shallots is an aromatic backdrop to any meal.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Melt butter in a medium Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add shallots, and cook, stirring often, 4 minutes. Stir in rice, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add 2 cups water, the stock, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat, and bring to boil. Stir once, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and discard bay leaf before serving.