Spring Salad with Fava Beans
Fresh fava beans join baby spinach, frisee, and mint in a delicate salad accented by goat cheese.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2009
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled (11/2 cups)
- 1/2 head frisee, leaves separated
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 3/4 cup packed fresh mint
- 1 small carrot, peeled into thin ribbons
- 1 shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add fava beans, and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath. Drain, and squeeze beans from skin.
Toss beans, frisee, spinach, mint, carrot, and shallot in a large bowl. Dot with tablespoons of goat cheese.
Place vinegar in a small bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad, and toss to coat. Serve immediately.