The classic rice dish is studded with pistachios, red onion, and dried apricots; jewel-toned pomegranate seeds add color and crunch.
- Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2002
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted pistachios or almonds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1/2 pomegranate)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring 1 minute to coat. Add chicken stock; bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice has absorbed all liquid, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, and fluff with a fork. Stir in apricots, nuts, pomegranate seeds, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.