Spiced Tomato Saltsa
This spiced tomato saltsa recipe is courtesy of chef Jim Botsacos and is used to make his Roasted Jumbo Prawns.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium Spanish onions, sliced lengthwise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup sweet wine, such as Mavrodaphne or sweet Marsala
- 1 can (32 ounces) diced tomatoes in their juices
- 6 whole allspice
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, smashed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over low heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, uncover, and continue cooking until onions are lightly browned. Add cumin and wine and cook until liquid is almost completely evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
Place allspice, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and coriander seeds in a piece of cheese cloth; tie with a piece of twine to enclose. Add spice bundle to onion mixture, cover, and let simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Uncover, and stir in parsley; season with salt and pepper. Remove spice bundle from skillet, remove skillet from heat; keep warm until ready to serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2008