Pate Brisee for Sour Cherry Slab Pie
- Yield: Makes enough for one 15-by-10-by-1-inch pie
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chilled (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 6 to 12 tablespoons ice water
Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide in two with one piece slightly larger than the other. Place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form two rectangles. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.