Green Beans with Tasso Ham
This smoky Cajun-flavored ham gives these green beans a special zing.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1996
- 2 ounces Tasso Ham
- 3 pounds fresh green beans, stem ends and strings removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 teaspoons finely minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place ham in the freezer until almost frozen, 3 to 4 hours. Cut it into julienne strips. Set aside.
Fill a large pot with water; bring to a boil. Add beans; cook until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
Place butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When butter is melted, add onions and garlic; saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add green beans, and turn heat to high; saute tossing, until beans are heated through, about 2 minutes.
Add ham, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper; saute until ham renders fat, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.