Tomato Sauce with Meat
Note: These recipes have been adapted from 'The Flavors of Sicily' by Anna Tasca Lanza. Text copyright 2001 by Anna Tasca Lanza. Photography copyright 2001 by Alessandro Leone. Reprinted by permission of Ici La Press.
- Yield: Makes about 7 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2003
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup small peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 28-ounce cans plum tomatoes, drained and passed through the medium disc of a food mill
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine the onion and olive oil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add beef, carrots, celery, and peas. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with the back of a spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes
Add wine, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 40 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Remove and discard bay leaf before using.