- 1 five-pound spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup torn fresh herbs, such as parsley, summer savory, thyme, and chervil
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup, fresh ricotta cheese
Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add squash, and weigh down with a heatproof plate or bowl (to keep squash submerged). Return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 30 to 45 minutes. Use tongs and a clean kitchen towel to remove from boiling water. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Halve lengthwise, scoop out seeds, then remove squash in strands using a fork to pull or scrape out.
Mound squash on a serving platter. Drizzle with oil, and dot with butter. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with herbs and Parmesan, and top with a dollop of ricotta cheese. Serve immediately.