Basil-Chive Red Potato Mash
This recipe adapted from Dave Lieberman's Young and Hungry (Hyperion, 2005)
- 2 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Season with salt. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add cream and butter; mash coarsely using a masher. Stir in chives and basil until evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper.