Warm Almond-Cherry Cake
Frozen cherries become juicy and intense when baked into this tender cake. Frozen berries are a great way to savor summer fruit in the fall. Try this cake with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or a combination thereof.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, October 2007
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pie plate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pie plate
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen cherries, thawed and dried
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate (4-cup capacity); set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract. With mixer on low, blend in flour mixture (do not overmix).
Transfer batter to prepared pie plate; scatter cherries and almonds on top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.