Warm Almond-Cherry Cake
Frozen cherries become juicy and intense when baked into this tender cake. Your freezer aisle is the best place to savor summer fruit any time of year. Frozen blueberries, blackberries, raspberries -- or a combination thereof -- would work well in this recipe if you can't find cherries.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, October 2007
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pie plate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pie plate
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen cherries, thawed and dried
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate (4-cup capacity); set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract. With mixer on low, blend in flour mixture (do not overmix).
Transfer batter to prepared pie plate; scatter cherries and almonds on top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.